Warren Buffett Ends Support for Population Control Programs
Population control giant Warren Buffett recently announced his decision to cease donating from his company Berkshire Hathaway (BH) to charitable organizations, including controversial population control programs. This decision is a victory for families all over the world who were victims of coercive programs funded by Warren Buffett.
Warren Buffett, one of the world’s richest men, is the owner and major shareholder of Berkshire Hathaway, a company which owns such enterprises as Dairy Queen and Sees Candies. Until the recent decision to cease charitable contributions, every Class A shareholder was able to designate up to three charities to receive a portion of the company’s profits. Buffett owns about one-third of the company, but holds well over half of the Class A shareholder physical certificates,1 so he controlled the destination of most of the charitable contributions. Since 1981, the program has disbursed $197 million in charitable donations.2
Most of Buffett’s share of the charitable donations (over $100 million) went to his Buffett Foundation, which supports the most radical aspects of the population control movement. In 1994, Buffett provided $2 million in funding for the Population Council, which was used to fund clinical trials of Mifepristone (RU-486). Buffett also provided $2 million to Family Health International for the distribution of quinacrine hydrochloride, a chemical with sterilizes a woman by burning her fallopian tubes. Quinacrine is illegal in the U.S., but is used, often coercively, in Vietnam, India, and other nations. In the late 1990s, Buffett committed to a $20 million grant to International Projects Assistance Services (IPAS) which manufactures and distributes manual vacuum aspirators, used for performing abortions in the Third World.3
What happened to change Buffett’s mind about using BH profits for “charitable” donations? A series of events starting with a shareholders resolution PRI president Steve Mosher presented last year, authored by investment broker Tom Strobhar.
Shareholders Meeting Attended
Last year, Mosher traveled to Omaha, Nebraska to present a shareholder’s resolution at the annual shareholders meeting of Berkshire Hathaway. The resolution called for the company (and Warren Buffett) to stop funding abortion and population control programs at home and abroad. The company had objected to the resolution, but the Securities and Exchange Commission, which regulates publicly traded firms, forced them to back down. “What sense does it make,” Mosher asked Warren Buffett in front of 10,000 of his shareholders, “for you to be eliminating future Berkshire-Hathaway customers?” The success of BH depends on having consumers to buy its products. And yet Buffett has, in the words of his biographer, “‘A Malthusian dread that overpopulation (will) aggravate problems in all other areas — such as food, housing, even human survival.’”4
The Shareholders Speak
The shareholder’s resolution stated, “Whereas, charitable contributions should serve to enhance shareholders value; Whereas, the company has given money to groups involved in controversial activities like abortion and population control; Whereas, our company is dependent on people to buy the products and services of the various companies we own; Whereas, our company is being boycotted by Life Decisions International and investment-related groups like Pro-Vita Advisors because of our contributions:
Resolved: The shareholders request the company to refrain from making charitable contributions.”
The resolution was voted down, of course, since Warren Buffett owns the majority of the company’s stock. And there the matter remained, until Berkshire Hathaway acquired a company known as The Pampered Chef, Inc.
Pampered Chef, Inc.
The Pampered Chef (TPC) was founded in 1980 by Doris Christopher to provide multipurpose kitchen tools to homes across the nation. The products are sold by 67,000 independent “Kitchen Consultants,” at in-home “kitchen shows,” where they demonstrate the products to hostesses and their friends. This business model appeals to stay-at-home mothers who want to bring in income for their families, while having the flexibility to be home to raise their children.
When Berkshire Hathaway announced that it was acquiring The Pampered Chef, several Kitchen Consultants decided that they could no longer sell Pampered Chef products, knowing that a portion of their proceeds would be used to promote abortion. But Kitchen Consultant and mother of three Cindy Coughlon decided to take it one step further.
You’re Killing Your Business!
Coughlon read about Warren Buffett’s involvement in radical population control in a Citizen magazine article by Steve Mosher entitled “Mr. Buffett, you’re killing your business.” She was astonished to learn that Berkshire Hathaway gave corporate contributions to organizations like Planned Parenthood, and that Warren Buffett himself supported some of the worst aspects of the population control movement. In Cindy’s words, “‘Warren Buffett is not your average pro-abortion supporter. He is passionately committed to fighting the perceived threat of overpopulation… The Buffett Foundation is a private philanthropic entity dedicated to funding, almost exclusively, projects and groups that promote abortion and so-called reproductive freedom.’”5
Coughlon drafted a petition to “tell P.C. consultants and customers that profits from TPC would be used to support abortion,” and to request that Buffett stop funding population control and abortion.6 The response was mixed. Many in Pampered Chef, including founder Doris Christopher, defended BH’s giving program. But many others decided that they could no longer sell or purchase Pampered Chef products in good conscience. For many, this was a great sacrifice.
In the end the petition was a success. On July 3, Berkshire Hathaway announced that it was ending all corporate charitable donations. The company’s press release stated, “The program worked well for many years. Recently, however, certain of the donations, including some made by Berkshire’s chairman, Warren Buffett, have caused harmful criticism to be directed at Berkshire’s new subsidiary, The Pampered Chef. The independent consultants that serve The Pampered Chef have no responsibility for what Berkshire Hathaway shareholders do, yet the careers of many of these consultants arc now suffering because of the contributions program.”7
Rather than cease funding controversial abortion and population groups only, Buffett decided to end all corporate charitable donations. This is precisely what PRI president Steve Mosher proposed last year at the shareholder’s meeting.
In the end, Warren Buffett is still free to do as he likes with his wealth. But no longer will Berkshire Hathaway corporate profits be used to forcibly sterilize women in the Third World, or to abort their children.
1 Thomas Strobhar, “Giving Until it Hurts,” Wall Street Journal, 1 August 2003.
2 Berkshire Hathaway Inc. News Release, 3 July 2003.
3 Steven Mosher, “The Billionaire Boys Club,” PRI Review, April-May-June 2001.
5 Cindy Coughlon, “When Homemakers Roar,” Special Reports, Life Decisions International, Summer 2003.
7 Berkshire Hathaway Inc. News Release.
For more articles, click the first link in each drop-down menu, e.g. 2010 (v12).
- Weekly Briefing: Español
- La próxima batalla legislativa: el Proyecto de Ley sobre la toma de conciencia sobre el dolor
- ¿La legalización reduciría el aborto en América Latina?
- Las interrogantes de la demografía actual
- Informe de los Medios de Comunicación: Depo Provera es peligrosa para su salud.
- Canadá: una sorpresa ingrata
- Enfermeras dan el ejemplo: renuncian para no distribuir la Píldora del Día Siguiente a
- Ampliación de la Noticia: La desaparición del matrimonio
- Recordando a Reagan
- Population Research Institute expande su actividad; incorporándose en la fundación de
- Frenando la Expansión del HIV/SIDA mediante la Abstinencia (y la Doctrina Católica)
- Los Programas de Planificación Familiar de USAID merman los esfuerzos para frenar la promiscu
- Weekly Briefing: 2013 (v15)
- Infanticide in America
- North Dakota and Kansas pave the way for Pro-life Legislation
- The Fight to Stop Population Control in Philippines Continues
- Marie Stopes and the Charade of “Post-Abortion Care”
- In Francis, the Catholic Church has a Pope for Life
- Who’s Behind India’s Barbaric Mega Sterilization Camps?
- Planet of the Apes
- Benedict XVI, Defender of Life and Family
- Heartbeat Movement Picks Up Steam
- The People-Haters Are At It Again
- Europe as We Know It is Dying
- The Inter-American Court of Human Rights Condones Killing Unborn Children in Latin America
- “We’re not in Kansas Anymore, Toto” (But We Should Be)
- New Title X Amendment Would Cut Planned Parenthood Funding
- Weekly Briefing: 2012 (v14)
- Will Russia Come Back to Life?
- China's one-child policy itself leads to forced abortions
- Why is Government (and Society) Discouraging Childbearing?
- UNICEF Should Rename Itself the United Nations Sex for Children Fund, or UNISEX
- America’s Pediatricians Claim the Right to Contracept Your Kids
- The Mirena IUD is Becoming More Popular - and the Lawsuits are Piling Up
- America's Depressed Birthrate
- Question: What Can we Expect From a Second Obama Administration on the Life Issues?
- Attending the Abortionists’ Annual Pep Rally
- Norplant is Back--Under a Different Name
- Sorry, Mr. Vice President, That Is Not a "Fact"
- Teenage Girl Becomes Infertile after Gardasil Vaccination
- The Contradiction of WHO
- Is Abortion Ever “Necessary?” The Evidence Says “No!”
- Of Mice and Men: New Study Touts a Male Contraceptive
- Weekly Briefing: 2011 (v13)
- Merry Christmas from PRI
- T-Shirts Are Available NOW!
- Catholic Health Care in Jeopardy
- Ban Sex Selective Abortions in the U.S.
- Pro-Life Amendment Defeated in Pro-Life Mississippi
- Baby Seven Billion, Welcome.
- Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics ... and Population Graphs
- Traditional Family Values
- We're In For A Scary Halloween (If You Listen to the Population Controllers)
- Take Good Care of Your Health Care Records - Or the Government Will!
- China's One-Child Policy Toll Reaches 400 Million
- Catholic Bishops Weigh Into Budget Debate
- Latest PRI Video Shows Collapse of Russia
- "Understanding" Joe Biden Perfects the Kowtow
- U.N. Climate Models Flawed - Grossly Exaggerate Warming Effect
- Weekly Briefing: 2010 (v12)
- Fourth Episode of Overpopulation Cartoon Series
- Turner Calls for Global One-Child Policy
- Love and HIV/AIDS
- Pope Benedict Misquoted on Condoms -- Again
- Planned Parenthood Wants to Abort Us into Prosperity
- As Elections Draw Near, PRI Releases Groundbreaking Video
- Does Obamacare Fund Abortion? Let Us Count the Ways.
- Islamic Terrorism and Fertility
- China's Thirty Years War Against its Own People Slated to Continue
- Time to Pay an "End-of-Life Visit" to ObamaCare
- PRI Updates Web Site, Releases New Video
- Radical Environmentalists Disclaim Responsibility for Eco-Terrorist James Lee
- A Farce: The UN's World Youth Conference
- After Passage of Pro-Abortion Constitution, Kenyan Bishops Urge Immediate Amendment
- The United Nations must love Catholics, we give them their best ideas.
- Weekly Briefing: 2009 (v11)
- In His Push for Socialized Medicine, Harry Reid Trashes the Hyde Amendment
- Global Warming Science? Nope, Global Warming Scam.
- Senator Max Baucus Wants to Teach Your Kids About Sex
- Blasted Ovaries: The Failure of Contraceptive Vaccines
- The Overpopulation Movement Struggles to Stay Relevant
- What's Next for the Pro-Life Movement in Health Care Reform?
- Sneak Attack on the Mexico City Policy
- Spain Awakens Against Abortion
- Merck Researcher Admits: Gardasil Guards Against Almost Nothing
- With 19 You Get Heaven
- Population Control to Combat Climate Change?
- Illegal Abortion Hot-Lines: A New Attack on the Unborn
- Obama to Seniors: Take Two Aspirin and Call Me When You're Dead
- Washington Feels the Wrath of Pro-Life Voters
- People Are The Enemy
- Weekly Briefing: 2008 (v10)
- Doug Kmiec's Departure from the Pro-Life Movement
- The Huffington Post Gets It Wrong--Again
- Abortion and Intolerance: Constants of the Left?
- China Frees Pregnant Mom after International Outcry
- Executive (Dis)Orders: Pro-life Policies Set to be Jettisoned
- Payback Time: What Planned Parenthood Expects from Obama
- Killing The Economy: Dennis Howard's "Elephant In The Living Room"
- How to Sell Out Your Country With Just One Word
- Is Immigration the Answer to the Current Economic Crisis?
- Wisconsin Offers "Free" Birth Control -- with Your Money
- USAID Denies Funding to Abortion Group Implicated in Forced Abortions and Sterilizations in China; PRI Applauds Action
- A New Front in the Abortion Wars
- Cyclebeads: The UNFPA Discovers Natural Family Planning, Sort Of
- Sarah Palin, An American Original
- "Kids: Your Time Is Up" -- Global Warming Game Targets Vulnerable Youngsters
- Weekly Briefing: 2007 (v09)
- Preserving Parental Rights in Panama
- Saving the Mexico City Policy
- How Family Planning Programs Cause Sex-Selective Abortion, Female Infanticide, and Other Forms of Ch
- Patrick Carroll's Research and the ABC Link Debate
- What Women Want (Hint: Not Reproductive Health Care)
- Fighting for Our Rights
- Reproductive Health Mortality
- House Democrats Stage Hearing on the Mexico City Policy
- Gender Equity and the Demeaning of Men's Issues
- The Obstetric Fistula Fallacy
- Chimeras, Great Britian, and the Brave New World
- Are There Too Many Columbians
- US Bishops Issue a New CALL to Latinos
- HillaryCare, 2.0
- HIV/AIDS: Western Failure and Ugandan Success
- Weekly Briefing: 2006 (v08)
- Irish Exceptionalism at an End?
- Suicide of the West?
- 300 Million and Immigration: Separating the Issues
- A Cut for Population Control Money?
- 300 Million, Social Security, and Solvency
- Pro-Life Politics
- The Small Problem of Suburban Sprawl
- Three Hundred Million and Counting
- Abortion the Cheap Easy Way
- Life in the News
- Restricting Women's Rights
- FDA Prepares Sell-Out on MAP
- Senate Democrats'Make-Believe on Girls' Abortions
- Kinder, Gentler Genocide in Mongolia
- World Population Aging 2006
- Weekly Briefing: 2005 (v07)
- What Mexican Women Want
- Will making pregnancy profitable save Italy from demographic destruction?
- House Takes an Interest in the RU-486 Poison Pill
- Getting U.S. Out of Abortion
- Time for a RU-486 Rollback
- A Feast for Life
- More Smiles for Scalito
- Abuse of Chinese Women and Children
- France's End
- Smiles for Scalito
- Abortion Doubters at the Washington Post?
- Mostly the Same, But UNFPA Discovers Fatherlessness
- UN AIDS Envoy Cant Stomach Abstinence
- Living the Gospel of Life Down Under
- Pro-Abortion Court Revolution Targets Colombia
- Weekly Briefing: 2004 (v06)
- Unlike Europe's, U.S. Population Continues to Grow--And in the Right Places
- Abortion by Other Means
- China's Persecution of Women and Children: More of the Same
- Canada Cuts off Chinese Women's Freedom in Order to Spite America's Face
- Would Legalization Reduce Abortion in Latin America?
- The Conscience Protection Amendment and NARAL's "D"
- The Abortion Pill Can Kill Mothers, Too
- Will Families Benefit from Tax Reform?
- The Unacceptable Arlen Specter
- How to Reduce the Number of Abortions (Hint:
- UNICEF: The Mask is Off!
- Secularism's Demographic Conundrum
- Despite Bumper Harvests, Lester Brown's Sky is Still Falling
- Peruvian Congress could punish prolife congressmen.
- Media Reports: Depo Provera Is Hazardous to your Health
- Weekly Briefing: 2003 (v05)
- Exposing Domestic Abortion Strategies
- New Revision Points to Underpopulation Crisis
- PRI needs your help for continued success in 2004
- The Coming Demographic Victory
- In Thanksgiving to God for People
- People: the Greatest Unmet Need
- Gates, Microsoft Urged by Shareholders to Cease Making Charitable Contributions
- President Bush Signs Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003
- The BBC's Method of HIV/AIDS Prevention
- Judge Robert Bork in Lincoln Nebraska
- USAID-funded FHI Exploits Women
- Population Control on our Shores
- The Two Sides of the Culture of Death
- Secretary Powell Cuts $25 Million More from UNFPA
- USAID Undercuts U.S. Global HIV/AIDS Initiative
- Weekly Briefing: 2002 (v04)
- Casting Lotts and Throwing Stones in the U.S. Congress
- Bush vs. Bangkok, Abortion as 'Reproductive Health'
- UK Pro-Aborts Seek to CHANGE Peruvian Health Policy
- UNFPA Seeks Drinking Friends to Fund Forced Abortion
- Condom Kingdom Deflated by Failure (Are You Listening, Bill?)
- USAID "Shifts" Focus to More Aggressive Population Policy for the Philippines
- Making "Reproductive Rights" (Read: Abortion) a Relic of the Past
- Broken Promises: Reproductive Rights Agenda Betrays Women and Children
- EU to Increase UNFPA Funding? Not so Fast!
- UNFPA Admits it Has No Way to Monitor China's Forced Abortion Population Program
- Graduating Countries from Population Control
- Foreign Aid in a Grown Up World
- ABOUT FACE: Norplant Victim Sues Wyeth, OBGYN for $120 Million
- How to Save Lives with $34 Million
- Project Afghanistan: A Situation Report
- Weekly Briefing: 2001 (v03)
- Urgent Action Alert! Call on President Bush to Zero-Fund UNFPA
- UNFPA Whitewashes Forced Abortion in China
- Hillary Clinton Forces Abortion Rights Agenda on Afghan Women
- Pro-Family Groups Condemn UNFPA
- Abortion Zealots Threaten Afghan Women
- Muslims Shocked by Western-led 'Genocide' in Refugee Camps
- UNFPA Hides Coercion Behind a Green Front
- An open letter from Steven W. Mosher to Thoraya Obaid, Executive Director of the United Nations Popu
- PRI Investigation of UNFPA Prompts Hearing on Forced Abortion in China
- UNFPA Supports Coercive Family Planning—Including Forced Abortion—In China (and PRI Has
- Abortion Group Targets Vulnerable Victims of Terror
- China's Role in Osama bin Laden's 'Holy War' On America
- America's Frozen Population
- What African Women Want (not "Reproductive Health Care")
- About Face
- Weekly Briefing: 2000 (v02)
- What the Abortion-Breast Cancer Link Means for Women in the Developing World
- Executive Orders to Save Lives
- Heedless of Demographic Dangers, Beijing Pushes Ahead with One-Child Policy
- Amend U.S. China Policy
- United in Opposing People
- RU 486 and Our Ties to China
- Abortion and Population Control
- Drowning Babies in Dollars
- AIDS and Population Control In Africa
- Family Planning Costs Lives
- Another Country
- Population Growth and its Enemies
- Immigration verus Population Control
- Land of the Setting Sun
- The Ordeal of Chinese Mothers Continues: New Evidence of Massive Female Infanticide
- Weekly Briefing: 1999 (v01)
- Planned Giving
- Depopulation Strikes New England
- Albright Scrambles to Appease Population Control Allies
- Wei Jingsheng Calls for Democracy in America
- UNFPA Bribes Kosovo Gynecologist
- Chinese Freedom Fighters to Meet at Historical Summit Conference
- Population Control and the New Global Racism
- Welcome Baby Six Billion!
- UNFPA Spokesman Lies About Milosevic Partnership to Preserve US Funding
- Know Your Rights!
- Feminist Rights Agenda Storms United Nations
- When Family Planning Is Ethnic Cleansing
- New York Post Faults UN Agency for Ethnic Cleansing of Albanians
- Reversing Itself, UNFPA Admits Ties to Milosevic Regime
- Disney Continues to Propagandize 'Myth of Overpopulation' in Public Schools