UNFPA Seeks Drinking Friends to Fund Forced Abortion
November 26, 2002
Volume 4/ Number 30
Stung by the $34 million U.S. cut to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), abortion activists meet in Washington, DC next week to drink tequila and salute Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney for her support of forced abortion. For some, like Rep. Maloney, the glass is always half-empty. PRI takes a more sober view. For us, the UNFPA funding cut was a strong show of support for victims of forced abortion in China and a first step towards turning China away from its coercive one-child policy. To use the words of Jimmy Buffet, UNFPA and friends are wastin away in Margaritaville.
Steven W. Mosher
UNFPA Seeks Drinking Friends to Fund Forced Abortion
Pro-life sidewalk activist groups in the Washington, DC who are interested in easy picketing won't want to miss The 34 Million Friends Campaign, to be held Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at the Atrium, located at 1200 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC from 6-8 p.m.(1)
The 34 Million Friends Campaign seeks to raise money for the UN Population Fund to offset the $34 million cut from UNFPAs budget by the Bush administration because of UNFPAs support of forced abortion in China. At the December 3 event, for a contribution of $1 or more, donors will receive a free margarita.(3)
The campaign is off to a rocky start. As of November 22, 2002, only $101,119.90 had been raised, leaving $33,898,880.10 to go.(2)
Sponsors of the event claim that $34 million for UNFPA could save the lives of 4,700 women and 77,000 infants and children.(4) This claim is based on the questionable premise that you can save lives by preventing babies from being born.
But if we want to save lives, there are far better ways to go about it: For the price of one margarita at one dollar at this UNFPA event, the lives of eight children could be saved with oral re-hydration therapy. If the entire $34 million were spent on basic child re-hydration programs, millions upon millions of children would be saved. If it were spent on child immunization, $34 million could save the lives of about 2 million children. If it was spent on basic health care for pneumonia, diarrhea, measles, malaria, $34 million could save the lives of almost 100 million children. For attended birth, $34 million could help 3-4 million women.(5) The event is being sponsored by the following abortion groups:
U.S. Committee for UNFPA: This is a UNFPA-funded DC lobbying group whose mission is to obtain funding for UNFPA. A spokesperson for this group recently claimed that if UNFPA discovered a case of forced abortion in China, UNFPA would pull out of China.(6) However, the U.S. State Department discovered coerced abortion in counties where UNFPA is active, and found that UNFPA supports this coercion.(7) But UNFPA is expanding its program in China.(8)
Center for Reproductive Law and Policy (CRLP): With offices based in New York City and Washington, DC, CRLP is dedicated to promoting abortion in the courts and in Congress. CRLP regards abortion as a basic human
Communications Consortium Media Center (CCMC): A media group dedicated to promoting, among other extreme liberal causes, abortion rights. CCMC manages PLANetWIRE.org, which denies that UNFPA supports abortion, despite first-hand evidence showing that UNFPA in fact support forced
National Wildlife Federation (NWF): This DC-based group promotes international population control and abortion rights, and carries out national litigation and strategies to save endangered species and animals. NWF claims that: more people, taking up more space, needing more natural resources, and engaging in ever-growing material consumption, create profound challenges for our ability to protect the resources on which all life depends.(11)
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA): Americas largest and most well-funded promoter and provider of abortion. In 2000, 197,070 abortions were performed in Planned Parenthood clinics nationwide.(12)
Population Action International (PAI): Dedicated to promoting universal access to family planning and claims that pro-life policies undermine U.S. and international policy.(13)
Population Connection (formerly known as Zero Population Growth): Promotes abortion as a basic right. In its 2002 Congressional Report Card, Pro-Life Members of Congress, including House and Senate Republican Leaders, receive negative marks across the boards. Pro-abortion Members such as Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Tom Daschle (D-SD), Hilary Clinton (D-NY), Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) receive unanimously positive grades.(14)
The Population Institute: Dedicated to reducing the population growth and to trumpeting the myth of overpopulation. Overpopulation is not a distant issue, The Population Institute claims. The overwhelming problems [of overpopulation] are upon us.(15) It supports overturning pro-life laws in Peru, and increased funding for abortion and population control
programs,(16) especially UNFPA—even though UNFPA supports forced abortion in China.
The Sierra Club: The Sierra Clubs Global Population and Environment Program seeks to protect the global environment and preserve natural resources for future generations by slowing population growth, and by promoting domestic and international family planning programs and reproductive health services [abortion].(17) Sierra also supports the CEDAW treaty (the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women) and the UN, which seeks to legalize
They'll all be wastin' away in Margaritaville on December 3, searching for their lost $34 million. Pro-life picketers should organize a welcoming committee.
1. Saving Womens Lives: 34 Million Friends Campaign, www.savingwomenslives.org/friends.htm
2. UNFPA, UNFPA Thanks our 34 Million Friends, http://www.unfpa.org/support/34million.htm
3. Saving Womens Lives.
5. See: PRI Weekly Briefing, How to Save Lives with $34 million, August 28, 2002, Vol. 4, No. 20; http://www.pop.org/briefings/wb082802.htm
6. Knight Ridder News Service, Small Advocacy Group Influences American Policy, September 19, 2002. 7. Analysis of Determination that Kemp-Kasten Amendment Precludes Further Funding to UNFPA under Pub. L. 107-115, Attachment to letter from Colin Powell, The Secretary of State to Sen. Patrick L. Leahy, Chairman, Subcommittee on Foreign Operations, Committee on Appropriations, July 21, 2002. 8. State Family Planning Commission of China, Population Prize Award Ceremony, Speech by Nafis Sadik, January 12, 2002; http://www.sfpc.gov.cn/EN/enews20020114-2.htm .
9. CRLP, Priority Issues: abortion, www.crlp.org/pri_abortion.html
10. PLANetWIRE.org, FACT SHEET: The United Nations Population Fund, www.planetwire.org/wrap/files.fcgi/2116_UNFPAChina.htm
11. National Wildlife Federation, www.wnf.org
12. Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Anti-choice Claims About Abortion and Breast Cancer, www.plannedparenthood.org/.../fact
13. Population Action International, About PAI: What we do, http://www.populationaction.org/about/index.htm ; Why the Global Gag Rule Undermines U.S. Foreign Policy, 8 Aug 2002. 14. Population Connection, 2002 Congressional Report Card.
15. The Population Institute, www.populationinstitute.org ; www.populationinstitute.org/teampublish/71_361-1093.cfm
17. The Sierra Club, Global Population and Environment, www.sierraclub.org/population/index.asp
For more articles, click the first link in each drop-down menu, e.g. 2010 (v12).
- Weekly Briefing: Español
- La próxima batalla legislativa: el Proyecto de Ley sobre la toma de conciencia sobre el dolor
- ¿La legalización reduciría el aborto en América Latina?
- Las interrogantes de la demografía actual
- Informe de los Medios de Comunicación: Depo Provera es peligrosa para su salud.
- Canadá: una sorpresa ingrata
- Enfermeras dan el ejemplo: renuncian para no distribuir la Píldora del Día Siguiente a
- Ampliación de la Noticia: La desaparición del matrimonio
- Recordando a Reagan
- Population Research Institute expande su actividad; incorporándose en la fundación de
- Frenando la Expansión del HIV/SIDA mediante la Abstinencia (y la Doctrina Católica)
- Los Programas de Planificación Familiar de USAID merman los esfuerzos para frenar la promiscu
- Weekly Briefing: 2014 (v16)
- You Must Abort!
- “Better to be a Criminal in China than a Pregnant Mother”
- Exposing Population Control: Tanzania
- Check the pulse: An update on heartbeat legislation
- Justice Denied in Peru’s Sterilization Campaign
- On Abortion and Maternal Mortality
- Winter Games in a Wintering Nation
- PRI Takes Down Abortion-Promoting Blog
- Why the baby kidnapper shouldn’t die
- Will Spain Abolish Abortion?
- Weekly Briefing: 2013 (v15)
- Russia Chooses Life
- The Numbers Don’t Lie: Babies are Blessings for Everyone
- Controlling Women’s Desires in Kenya
- Why Do Filipino Women Die in Childbirth?
- Franchising Abortion and Sterilization
- Open response to: “Overpopulation: Should America have a one-child policy?
- What Does China Want?
- One Small Snip for Man, One Giant Snip for Mankind
- The End of America—as America
- Refugees Subject to Population Control
- Debunking the Myth of Overpopulation
- Contraception as a "Solution" to Abortion: No way!
- Cutting Foreign Aid to Save Lives
- A Crime in Time—and Again
- Catholic Relief Services Leaves Many Questions Unanswered
- Weekly Briefing: 2012 (v14)
- Will Russia Come Back to Life?
- China's one-child policy itself leads to forced abortions
- Why is Government (and Society) Discouraging Childbearing?
- UNICEF Should Rename Itself the United Nations Sex for Children Fund, or UNISEX
- America’s Pediatricians Claim the Right to Contracept Your Kids
- The Mirena IUD is Becoming More Popular - and the Lawsuits are Piling Up
- America's Depressed Birthrate
- Question: What Can we Expect From a Second Obama Administration on the Life Issues?
- Attending the Abortionists’ Annual Pep Rally
- Norplant is Back--Under a Different Name
- Sorry, Mr. Vice President, That Is Not a "Fact"
- Teenage Girl Becomes Infertile after Gardasil Vaccination
- The Contradiction of WHO
- Is Abortion Ever “Necessary?” The Evidence Says “No!”
- Of Mice and Men: New Study Touts a Male Contraceptive
- Weekly Briefing: 2011 (v13)
- Merry Christmas from PRI
- T-Shirts Are Available NOW!
- Catholic Health Care in Jeopardy
- Ban Sex Selective Abortions in the U.S.
- Pro-Life Amendment Defeated in Pro-Life Mississippi
- Baby Seven Billion, Welcome.
- Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics ... and Population Graphs
- Traditional Family Values
- We're In For A Scary Halloween (If You Listen to the Population Controllers)
- Take Good Care of Your Health Care Records - Or the Government Will!
- China's One-Child Policy Toll Reaches 400 Million
- Catholic Bishops Weigh Into Budget Debate
- Latest PRI Video Shows Collapse of Russia
- "Understanding" Joe Biden Perfects the Kowtow
- U.N. Climate Models Flawed - Grossly Exaggerate Warming Effect
- Weekly Briefing: 2010 (v12)
- Fourth Episode of Overpopulation Cartoon Series
- Turner Calls for Global One-Child Policy
- Love and HIV/AIDS
- Pope Benedict Misquoted on Condoms -- Again
- Planned Parenthood Wants to Abort Us into Prosperity
- As Elections Draw Near, PRI Releases Groundbreaking Video
- Does Obamacare Fund Abortion? Let Us Count the Ways.
- Islamic Terrorism and Fertility
- China's Thirty Years War Against its Own People Slated to Continue
- Time to Pay an "End-of-Life Visit" to ObamaCare
- PRI Updates Web Site, Releases New Video
- Radical Environmentalists Disclaim Responsibility for Eco-Terrorist James Lee
- A Farce: The UN's World Youth Conference
- After Passage of Pro-Abortion Constitution, Kenyan Bishops Urge Immediate Amendment
- The United Nations must love Catholics, we give them their best ideas.
- Weekly Briefing: 2009 (v11)
- In His Push for Socialized Medicine, Harry Reid Trashes the Hyde Amendment
- Global Warming Science? Nope, Global Warming Scam.
- Senator Max Baucus Wants to Teach Your Kids About Sex
- Blasted Ovaries: The Failure of Contraceptive Vaccines
- The Overpopulation Movement Struggles to Stay Relevant
- What's Next for the Pro-Life Movement in Health Care Reform?
- Sneak Attack on the Mexico City Policy
- Spain Awakens Against Abortion
- Merck Researcher Admits: Gardasil Guards Against Almost Nothing
- With 19 You Get Heaven
- Population Control to Combat Climate Change?
- Illegal Abortion Hot-Lines: A New Attack on the Unborn
- Obama to Seniors: Take Two Aspirin and Call Me When You're Dead
- Washington Feels the Wrath of Pro-Life Voters
- People Are The Enemy
- Weekly Briefing: 2008 (v10)
- Doug Kmiec's Departure from the Pro-Life Movement
- The Huffington Post Gets It Wrong--Again
- Abortion and Intolerance: Constants of the Left?
- China Frees Pregnant Mom after International Outcry
- Executive (Dis)Orders: Pro-life Policies Set to be Jettisoned
- Payback Time: What Planned Parenthood Expects from Obama
- Killing The Economy: Dennis Howard's "Elephant In The Living Room"
- How to Sell Out Your Country With Just One Word
- Is Immigration the Answer to the Current Economic Crisis?
- Wisconsin Offers "Free" Birth Control -- with Your Money
- USAID Denies Funding to Abortion Group Implicated in Forced Abortions and Sterilizations in China; PRI Applauds Action
- A New Front in the Abortion Wars
- Cyclebeads: The UNFPA Discovers Natural Family Planning, Sort Of
- Sarah Palin, An American Original
- "Kids: Your Time Is Up" -- Global Warming Game Targets Vulnerable Youngsters
- Weekly Briefing: 2007 (v09)
- Preserving Parental Rights in Panama
- Saving the Mexico City Policy
- How Family Planning Programs Cause Sex-Selective Abortion, Female Infanticide, and Other Forms of Ch
- Patrick Carroll's Research and the ABC Link Debate
- What Women Want (Hint: Not Reproductive Health Care)
- Fighting for Our Rights
- Reproductive Health Mortality
- House Democrats Stage Hearing on the Mexico City Policy
- Gender Equity and the Demeaning of Men's Issues
- The Obstetric Fistula Fallacy
- Chimeras, Great Britian, and the Brave New World
- Are There Too Many Columbians
- US Bishops Issue a New CALL to Latinos
- HillaryCare, 2.0
- HIV/AIDS: Western Failure and Ugandan Success
- Weekly Briefing: 2006 (v08)
- Irish Exceptionalism at an End?
- Suicide of the West?
- 300 Million and Immigration: Separating the Issues
- A Cut for Population Control Money?
- 300 Million, Social Security, and Solvency
- Pro-Life Politics
- The Small Problem of Suburban Sprawl
- Three Hundred Million and Counting
- Abortion the Cheap Easy Way
- Life in the News
- Restricting Women's Rights
- FDA Prepares Sell-Out on MAP
- Senate Democrats'Make-Believe on Girls' Abortions
- Kinder, Gentler Genocide in Mongolia
- World Population Aging 2006
- Weekly Briefing: 2005 (v07)
- What Mexican Women Want
- Will making pregnancy profitable save Italy from demographic destruction?
- House Takes an Interest in the RU-486 Poison Pill
- Getting U.S. Out of Abortion
- Time for a RU-486 Rollback
- A Feast for Life
- More Smiles for Scalito
- Abuse of Chinese Women and Children
- France's End
- Smiles for Scalito
- Abortion Doubters at the Washington Post?
- Mostly the Same, But UNFPA Discovers Fatherlessness
- UN AIDS Envoy Cant Stomach Abstinence
- Living the Gospel of Life Down Under
- Pro-Abortion Court Revolution Targets Colombia
- Weekly Briefing: 2004 (v06)
- Unlike Europe's, U.S. Population Continues to Grow--And in the Right Places
- Abortion by Other Means
- China's Persecution of Women and Children: More of the Same
- Canada Cuts off Chinese Women's Freedom in Order to Spite America's Face
- Would Legalization Reduce Abortion in Latin America?
- The Conscience Protection Amendment and NARAL's "D"
- The Abortion Pill Can Kill Mothers, Too
- Will Families Benefit from Tax Reform?
- The Unacceptable Arlen Specter
- How to Reduce the Number of Abortions (Hint:
- UNICEF: The Mask is Off!
- Secularism's Demographic Conundrum
- Despite Bumper Harvests, Lester Brown's Sky is Still Falling
- Peruvian Congress could punish prolife congressmen.
- Media Reports: Depo Provera Is Hazardous to your Health
- Weekly Briefing: 2003 (v05)
- Exposing Domestic Abortion Strategies
- New Revision Points to Underpopulation Crisis
- PRI needs your help for continued success in 2004
- The Coming Demographic Victory
- In Thanksgiving to God for People
- People: the Greatest Unmet Need
- Gates, Microsoft Urged by Shareholders to Cease Making Charitable Contributions
- President Bush Signs Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003
- The BBC's Method of HIV/AIDS Prevention
- Judge Robert Bork in Lincoln Nebraska
- USAID-funded FHI Exploits Women
- Population Control on our Shores
- The Two Sides of the Culture of Death
- Secretary Powell Cuts $25 Million More from UNFPA
- USAID Undercuts U.S. Global HIV/AIDS Initiative
- Weekly Briefing: 2002 (v04)
- Casting Lotts and Throwing Stones in the U.S. Congress
- Bush vs. Bangkok, Abortion as 'Reproductive Health'
- UK Pro-Aborts Seek to CHANGE Peruvian Health Policy
- UNFPA Seeks Drinking Friends to Fund Forced Abortion
- Condom Kingdom Deflated by Failure (Are You Listening, Bill?)
- USAID "Shifts" Focus to More Aggressive Population Policy for the Philippines
- Making "Reproductive Rights" (Read: Abortion) a Relic of the Past
- Broken Promises: Reproductive Rights Agenda Betrays Women and Children
- EU to Increase UNFPA Funding? Not so Fast!
- UNFPA Admits it Has No Way to Monitor China's Forced Abortion Population Program
- Graduating Countries from Population Control
- Foreign Aid in a Grown Up World
- ABOUT FACE: Norplant Victim Sues Wyeth, OBGYN for $120 Million
- How to Save Lives with $34 Million
- Project Afghanistan: A Situation Report
- Weekly Briefing: 2001 (v03)
- Urgent Action Alert! Call on President Bush to Zero-Fund UNFPA
- UNFPA Whitewashes Forced Abortion in China
- Hillary Clinton Forces Abortion Rights Agenda on Afghan Women
- Pro-Family Groups Condemn UNFPA
- Abortion Zealots Threaten Afghan Women
- Muslims Shocked by Western-led 'Genocide' in Refugee Camps
- UNFPA Hides Coercion Behind a Green Front
- An open letter from Steven W. Mosher to Thoraya Obaid, Executive Director of the United Nations Popu
- PRI Investigation of UNFPA Prompts Hearing on Forced Abortion in China
- UNFPA Supports Coercive Family Planning—Including Forced Abortion—In China (and PRI Has
- Abortion Group Targets Vulnerable Victims of Terror
- China's Role in Osama bin Laden's 'Holy War' On America
- America's Frozen Population
- What African Women Want (not "Reproductive Health Care")
- About Face
- Weekly Briefing: 2000 (v02)
- What the Abortion-Breast Cancer Link Means for Women in the Developing World
- Executive Orders to Save Lives
- Heedless of Demographic Dangers, Beijing Pushes Ahead with One-Child Policy
- Amend U.S. China Policy
- United in Opposing People
- RU 486 and Our Ties to China
- Abortion and Population Control
- Drowning Babies in Dollars
- AIDS and Population Control In Africa
- Family Planning Costs Lives
- Another Country
- Population Growth and its Enemies
- Immigration verus Population Control
- Land of the Setting Sun
- The Ordeal of Chinese Mothers Continues: New Evidence of Massive Female Infanticide
- Weekly Briefing: 1999 (v01)
- Planned Giving
- Depopulation Strikes New England
- Albright Scrambles to Appease Population Control Allies
- Wei Jingsheng Calls for Democracy in America
- UNFPA Bribes Kosovo Gynecologist
- Chinese Freedom Fighters to Meet at Historical Summit Conference
- Population Control and the New Global Racism
- Welcome Baby Six Billion!
- UNFPA Spokesman Lies About Milosevic Partnership to Preserve US Funding
- Know Your Rights!
- Feminist Rights Agenda Storms United Nations
- When Family Planning Is Ethnic Cleansing
- New York Post Faults UN Agency for Ethnic Cleansing of Albanians
- Reversing Itself, UNFPA Admits Ties to Milosevic Regime
- Disney Continues to Propagandize 'Myth of Overpopulation' in Public Schools